Since joining Rotary in 2008, I have been one of the most vocal and active champions of social media.
- given numerous talks at Rotary clubs (and they were generally VERY resistant to the topic in the early years!)
- written a variety of articles for the Rotary Down Under magazine
- conducted training seminars ranging from one hour to a full day around Australia and overseas, including keynotes and break out sessions at the Rotary International Institute in Bangkok (2012) and the Bangkok (2012) and Sydney (2014) Rotary International Conventions
- been a panelist in every social media webinar put on by Rotary International (while Antoinette Tuscano was the staff member looking after social media there); sadly all of the webinar recordings by Rotary International were deleted during one of the website redevelopments!
- founded a social networks fellowship to actively provide resources for Rotarians and Rotaractors to safely and effectively use social media (though I am no longer involved with it; I have now moved many of the resources I compiled to this website so they will not be lost!)
- served as both a member of the International Organizing Committee and Promotions Committee for the 2014 Sydney RI Convention, specifically because of my social media expertise.
That’s a lot of training! 🙂 (And time poured into practising what I preach!) I have uploaded a number of the resources I have put together on SlideShare – a selection of those are below.
I also authored the first “SNetiquette” Guidelines for using social media in Rotary at a personal, club and district level. Your club (and district) should consider whether a social media policy is necessary.
PowerPoint Presentations from talks and workshops
- Five Things Every Facebook Page Should Have breakout at the Sydney Rotary Convention (June 2014)
- Telling Your Rotary Story Effectively Using Social Media breakout at the Sydney Rotary Convention (June 2014)
- Social Media keynote at the 2012 International Institute in Bangkok (May 2012)
- Using Social Media to Strengthen Your Club breakout at the Bangkok Rotary Convention (May 2012)
- Using Social Media to Focus and Increase Humanitarian Service breakout at the Bangkok Rotary Convention (May 2012)
- Half Day Facebook Seminar (February 2012) with Kero O’Shea: slides and handouts on Privacy, Using Social Media in your Club, Gaining Likers, How to create a Facebook page, and Develop your online strategy
- This was updated with US statistics and screenshots and had information about the Facebook Ad campaign added in August 2012 by Rich Lalley
- Social Media for Australian Rotarians full day workshop in Sydney (October 2011): slides and handouts
- Social Networking for Rotarians 20 minute talk for club meetings (October 2011)
- Effective Use of Social Media (June 2011): handouts
I have also authored a number of more in depth articles on how to use social media more effectively:
- Creating a digital communications strategy
- Facebook Ad membership drive findings
- Images that showcase your club
- The ins and outs of tagging
- Using social media to boost your fundraising efforts
Articles published in the Rotary Down Under magazine
- “Over 55s take to Facebook in numbers“, Rotary Down Under, November 2009
- “Social networkers launched“, Rotary Down Under, December 2010
- “Social networkers celebrate“, Rotary Down Under, June 2011
Other Useful Resources
The following are not resources I have authored, but they are specific to Rotary and have been curated accordingly.