Since joining Rotary in 2008, I have been one of the most vocal and active champions of social media.
- given numerous talks at Rotary clubs (and they were generally VERY resistant to the topic in the early years!)
- written a variety of articles for the Rotary Down Under magazine
- conducted training seminars ranging from one hour to a full day around Australia and overseas, including keynotes and break out sessions at the Rotary International Institute in Bangkok (2012) and the Bangkok (2012) and Sydney (2014) Rotary International Conventions
- been a panelist in every social media webinar put on by Rotary International (while Antoinette Tuscano was the staff member looking after social media there)
- founded a social networks fellowship to actively provide resources for Rotarians and Rotaractors to safely and effectively use social media (though I am no longer involved with it; I have now moved many of the resources I compiled to this website so they will not be lost!)
- served as both a member of the International Organizing Committee and Promotions Committee for the Sydney RI Convention, specifically because of my social media expertise.
That’s a lot of training! 🙂 (And time poured into practising what I preach!) I have uploaded a number of the resources I have put together on SlideShare – a selection of those are below.
I have also authored the first “SNetiquette” Guidelines for using social media in Rotary.
PowerPoint Presentations from talks and workshops
- Five Things Every Facebook Page Should Have (June 2014)
- Telling Your Rotary Story Effectively Using Social Media (June 2014)
- Social Media keynote at the 2012 International Institute (May 2012)
- Using Social Media to Strengthen Your Club (May 2012)
- Using Social Media to Focus and Increase Humanitarian Service (May 2012)
- Half Day Facebook Seminar (February 2012): slides and handouts on Privacy, Using Social Media in your Club, Gaining Likers, How to create a Facebook page, and Develop your online strategy
- Social Media for Australian Rotarians full day workshop (October 2011): slides and handouts
- Effective Use of Social Media (June 2011): handouts
I have also authored a number of more in depth articles on how to use social media more effectively:
- Creating a digital communications strategy
- Facebook Ad membership drive findings
- Images that showcase your club
- The ins and outs of tagging
- Using social media to boost your fundraising efforts